to the webpages of my book on international relations as performance. The man in leotards above is Louis XIV. Presidents and prime ministers don’t wear leotards anymore, but they are still performing. This is what the book is about. There is not a lot of actual text to read yet, but I’m adding primary sources almost every day. Click on the tags below to read more.
- Descartes’ Correspondence with Princess Elisabeth
- Lisa Shapiro, “Volume Editor’s Introduction,” Descartes’ Correspondence with Princess Elisabeth
- James, Passion and Action, 1997
- Shapin, Descartes, the Doctor
- Letters patent establishing the French Academy in 1635
automata balance of power ballet de court Cambodian twist Cartesian metaphysics chapter 1 Chapter 3 colonialism Concert of Europe Congress of Vienna dancing in the colonies Descartes Edgar Degas Embodiment factory labor first encounters First World War flying aces Futurism gymnastics hornpipe Islam louis xiv madness and modernity mass rallies mechanical society militarism mind-body modern dance Muslim practices Phenomenology prayer Republican diplomacy Rokumeikan Russian ballet self-determination sexual encounters Sheets-Johnstone South Seas tourism toy soldiers travelers Turnen Turnvater Jahn war