3. Ancient city-states
- The idea of the polis. The polis in historical practice.
- Polis and cosmopolis.
- Thallasocracies of the eastern Mediterranean.
- Arendt on “the public and the private.”
- Ancient Greece as a network.
- Mogens Herman Hansen, “The City-State Culture in Ancient Greece,” in Polis: An Introduction to the Ancient Greek City-State. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Thucydides, “Pericles’ Funeral Oration,” in The Peloponnesian War (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1985)
- Kostas Vlassopoulos, “Between East and West: The Greek Poleis as Part of a World-System.” Ancient West and East 6 (2007): 91–111.
- Hanna Arendt, “The Public and the Private Realm,” in The Human Condition. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1958.
- Patricia Springborg, “Politics, Primordialism and Orientalism: Marx, Aristotle, and the Myth of the Gemeinschaft.” American Political Science Review 80, no. 1 (1986): 185–211.
- Aristotle, The Politics.
- P. J. Rhodes, The Greek city states: a source book. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007.
In Our Time, “Aristotle’s Politics”
Seminar notes: “City-states“