- The republican tradition in northern Italy during the Renaissance.
- England as a republic.
- The French revolution and the return of republican thought.
- Republicanism in the United States.
- Michael J. Sandel, “Economics and Virtue in the Early Republic.” In Democracy’s Discontent: America in Search of a Public Philosophy. Cambridge: Belknap Press, 1996.
- Jürgen Habermas, “Political Structures of the Public Sphere,” In The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere: An Inquiry into a Category of Bourgeois Society. Cambridge: The MIT Press, 1991.
In Our Time, “Italian City-states”
- Pocock, John Greville Agard. “Neo-Machiavellian Political Economy.” In The Machiavellian Moment: Florentine Political Thought and the Atlantic Republican Tradition. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2003.
Seminar notes: “Republics“