- “State-building” and “state failure.”
- Why do states “fail”?
- The role of civil society.
- Implications for international politics.
- Fergusson, James. The World’s Most Dangerous Place: Inside the Outlaw State of Somalia. Da Capo Press, 2013.
- Ghani, Ashraf, and Clare Lockhart. Fixing Failed States: A Framework for Rebuilding a Fractured World. Oxford University Press, USA, 2008.
- Mallaby, Sebastian. “The Reluctant Imperialist: Terrorism, Failed States, and the Case for American Empire.” Foreign Affairs 81, no. 2 (March 1, 2002): 2–7.