- How and why did the Europeans come to take over the world?
- How did the colonized peoples make themselves independent?
- What were the logn-term effects of colonialization?
- Erik Ringmar, “The European Expansion,” History of International Relations (Cambridge: Open Book, forthcoming). Please not that this chapter is not written yet. I hope it will be by the time this week comes around …
- Ashis Nandy, The Intimate Enemy: Loss and Recovery of Self Under Colonialism (New York: Oxford University Press, 1989) 1-63.
- Chesterton, G. K. ‘Matthew Arnold, among Much That Was Arid and Arbitrary …’ Illustrated London News, 18 September 1909.
- What was the Mau-mau uprising?
- Who was Henry Morton Stanley? Presentation by hilip Norrman.
- How does William Robruck describe the emperor’s palace? How did Coleridge describe it? Read this. Presentation byNoemibernadette Zampetti.
- William of Robruck, “TheKhan’s palace at Karakorum,” in William of Rubruck’s Account of the Mongols, 1253-1255.
- Henry Morton Stanley, “Letter from Ulagalla, M’tesa’s capital,” April 12, 1875.